Key Topics and Links to Files
- Data Analysis Guide
- Applying Your Skills in the Real World: How Do You Know If You Are Truly Helping?
- Analyses Included: Single Sample t-test; t-test for Independent Means; Creating a Mean; Descriptive Statistics (Central Tendency)
- BONUS – STUDY 1: How Can We Reduce Underage Drinking? What’s more serious, drinking, cigarettes, or marijuana?
- BONUS – STUDY 2: Who would be the best spokesperson for public service announcements concerning the dangers of underage drinking? Does the effectiveness of the spokesperson depend on the grade level of the student?
- Analyses Included: Two-Way Analysis of Variance (ANOVA)
The Data Analysis Guide contains all of the following:
- Design Summary (for the chapter study and the bonus data)
- Research Question
- Main Analysis
- Other Analyses
- Variables (IV, DV, etc.)
- Analysis Plan (i.e., To emphasize preregistration and open science principles, we outline the analyses students need to conduct)
- SPSS Step-by-Step Guide to the Analyses (for chapter study only)
- Data View
- Variable View
- Setting Up Your Data
- Step-by-Step Instructions with Screenshots for all Analyses
- Example Syntax with notations of key features
- Example Output with notations of where to find key numbers.
- APA Style: Example Results Section
- APA Style: Example Table
- APA Style: Example Figure
*Although this works as a standalone activity, it pairs best with Chapter 13 of Discovering the Scientist Within where you will find more information about the research question (including background research), the thought/decision process behind the study design, as well as key methods and statistical concepts.